Create this gorgeous Pottery Barn Inspired DIY Nightstand in a day. That’s right! Super affordable and super easy. Learn how NOW!
It all started one blissful morning at my local Walmart after I dropped Miss Ava off for daycare.
I realized that I had no clue what I wanted to do about nightstands for Mike and I’s master bedroom makeover.
We honestly don’t need them, but I wanted to fill the spaces next to each side of the bed since it looked very plain jane. Plus, the last time I tried to fill the space with window shutters and these lamp shade pendant lights we never even used them. Major bummer, but you live and you learn.
So, what do you know… as I’m perusing the aisles looking for inspiration I see these two folding tv trays for a whopping $10 apiece.
That my friend, is most definitely within my budget even if I had no clue at the time how I would make them look “pretty”.
Anybody else do this?
DIY Nightstand Plans
As in, you buy stuff you think you can use, and then stare at them for a few hours contemplating the most useful ways to use?
This is also the point where I usually start rummaging through my humongous stack of home decor magazines (hence how I found a similar Pottery Barn creation!) and mixing/mashing ideas together until I finally find something I like.
There are probably one hundred and one different ways you could go about creating this gem of a DIY nightstand, but I’m a creature of habit and decided to keep it simple.
- TV Trays (even though I got mine at Walmart these are pretty comparable!)
- Table Saw
- 1/2″ plywood
- 1-3/16″ Brad Nails (or finish nails)
- Brad Nail Gun (or hammer)
- Wood Carving Kit (optional, but helpful!)
- Satin Exterior Paint (mine is in white)
- Paintbrush and/or Foam Paint Roller
- Antique Copper Cup Pull Label Holder
1. First of all, in order to start these super simple DIY nightstand plans I removed the “legs” from both of my stands
2. Then, remove the rounded corners with your table saw. This will help keep everything lined up just the way I like it!
NOTE: Mike and I tend to be hoarders of wood so I just used some scrap pieces of 1/2″ plywood we had on hand to create the top “box”.
3. Also, to keep everything lined up exactly how the pieces arrived I decided to use the “tray” portion as my bottom piece. I could still see the holes for my legs, and like I said… let’s just keep this project easy. 😉
The Easiest Pottery Barn Inspired DIY Nightstand
4. Technically for a project like this you’ll want to use something like a non-mortise hinge (basically a hinge that is hidden), but unfortunately we had no such luck finding any so we decided to use these hinges below instead.
NOTE: The only disadvantage to using a hinge like this is that there can be a small gap in between your door and the connecting bottom.
5. To fix this problem you can carve out a little bit of the wood with a wood carving chisel set as seen below.
NOTE: Since I was kind of winging this project and making it up as I went (huge shocker–I know, again) I would HIGHLY suggest putting your hinges onto your bottom board PRIOR to attaching your box. It just makes life much easier.
6. Reattach your tv stand tray legs.
7. And now it’s time to paint! I have a huge crush on satin exterior paint in just the standard white. I can’t explain it, but it’s just my favorite and go-to.
Please excuse the mess. Ava and I were making memories.
The Part of Making a DIY Nightstand
One of the best things about creating your own furniture is making space for hiding the randomness that you might need.
What am I going to fill in mine?
Well, it’ll start off with magazines. However, I have a feeling it’ll end up with Barbies and leftover graham crackers at some point. Sigh. It’s the thought that counts, right?
8. Finally, I added this gorgeous antique copper cup pull label holder to the fronts.
Not a fan of the white? No problem! All you need is a little bit of paint in the color of your choice.
For instance, I choose white to make these DIY nightstands pop out from my navy walls, but I’m very certain they’d look amazing in just about any color. Only your imagination is the limit!
I can’t tell you how amazing they look in person, and they seriously were sooooo easy to make! Must try? Uhhh.. hell yea!
The Easiest Pottery Barn Inspired DIY Nightstand of Your Dreams
Here’s what I’ve gotten done so far:
come up with a plan paint bedand dresser new sheets and bedskirt (keep duvet) design/create bedside tables
- update the ceiling lighting and bedside lamps
add a rug find new curtains
- add a little wall bling
If you loved these ideas then you’ll definitely want to browse some of my other DIY projects. They’re full of step-by-step tutorials as well as freebies galore! Can’t wait to see you again! – LZ
Let’s be Social
This post was originally created in January 2017, and then updated in October 2020.